Sunday, July 31, 2011

Aloha George!

Georgie is the birthday boy!!  Today is his first birthday!  We celebrated yesterday with a backyard luau.  
George seemed pleased with the evening.
He was very pleased with the tasty drink Bethany shared with him. 
 Except when she stopped sharing with him.  That didn't please him at all and he let everyone know he wanted more.
 I am pleased with him all the way around.  How is he already a year old?  Time flies when you're raising 6 kids!
Since roasting the pig on a spit or cooking it buried with hot coals seemed a little complicated for a simple backyard luau-- we opted for Hawaiian Haystacks, instead. 
The little umbrellas are dirt cheap, but they really make the party.
Abe came in a close second in the adult limbo contest.  All the adults were rather astonished to find we are getting older and not nearly so nimble as we once were.
The men's and boys' hula hoop contest was first.  Shake those lack-of-hips, boys!
Everyone wanted a piece of the hula hoop action!
The women's competition was next.  I was not good.  I guess having hips doesn't automatically make you a good hula hooper.  
Do you remember Naomi from England?  She is here visiting and since my sister has moved to Texas (have I mentioned my sister just moved to drought-stricken Texas?) we're getting to spend a lot of time with Naomi.  My girls are in heaven to have their aunt from London!!
Faith and Cannon headed up the kids' competition.  Cute, cute cute!
Bethany and Elinor were working it!  Bethany did come off the victor, but Elinor gave her some stiff competition.
The women's champion went head to head with the kids' champion.  Who do you think won?  
Michelle performed admirably, but Bethany was really good.  Once again, my hips theory is out the window. 
I know of families who make really fancy, special birthday cakes.  We obviously aren't one of those families.  But the girls and I had fun making this cake for Georgie.
He dug right into his cake.  I would like for someone to create personality profiles based on how a one year old reacts to birthday cake.  What can you predict about a person's future grown-up personality characteristics based on how they eat their cake.
He got a cute little book from our friends.
What little baby doesn't need his own laptop?  Cannon got one look at that toy and we realized George really wasn't going to get to play with it anyway.
 
Happy birthday, Big Guy!

3 comments:

christini yogini said...

AWWWWWwwww!
Happy birthday, sweet Georgie!
What a wonderful celebration!
xoxo

Gabrielle Kim said...

George is ADORABLE! I can't believe he's already a year old. In your "spare" time you should become a party planner!

ollielouie said...

I am disappointed that I wasn't invited. Hope he had a great birthday.