Saturday, July 2, 2011

As Good As It Gets

Today was a really good day.  I don't know if I can remember a more enjoyable day with my people here at home.  The weather was perfect and the only thing on the schedule was a much anticipated parade this evening.  So the children took to the tree.  The large cottonwood tree in our front yard is better than any swing set on the market.  I'm not really a tree-hugger kind of gal, but I love, love, love this tree.
 Yesterday the kids and I finished reading aloud Swiss Family Robinson.  The kids really enjoyed it and as usual, this book strongly influenced their play.  They were making different rooms all over the tree.
Cannon always takes the pillow cases off of pillows.  Why?
Here is the little mother of the bunch.  Bethany has had a couple of babysitting jobs in the neighborhood lately.  Of course she is thrilled.  I am a little shocked that we are already to that stage!  Wait... wasn't I just babysititng-- and now I have a daughter old enough to babysit?  She is growing up and she is so nurturing with little children.  I am very happy that she is so trustworthy.
 Now that is the way to spend a summer day.
Reading stories in your tree house!
 I grabbed my lawn chair and book and sat in the shade of the tree and soaked in some relaxation.  All hail the playpen!!!  George was so content as well.  I just threw him some toys and a few graham crackers and he was good to to go.
We spent the day in glorious anticipation of the parade this evening.  Last year Abe and the four oldest kids were in Spokane and missed the parade, so they were doubly excited this year.  This called for matching outfits!!!!!
We had a cushy spot in the shade this year.  You don't just show up to the parade and hope for a good spot.  Well, you can do it that way, but you probably won't end up with a cushy spot in the shade.  We (and many other folks) put our chairs out four days ago and hoped they would still be there tonight.  They were.  You'd think their might be some nastiness with people saving sidewalk space days before the event, but I've never seen any.  People seem very accepting and respectful of the system of saving parade spots. 
The young man in this picture holding George is Taylor, a great friend of Clark's.  He's a favorite with our family.
The parade always starts with the police motorcade.  It is very exciting and loud and the kids love it.  And although I am sure the policemen are very skilled and have never and would never lose control of their vehicles and plow straight into a crowd of children, they do drive quite quickly very close to the children.  Close enough to give high fives while they drive by.  And I can't help but get nervous.  But so far, so good.
Oh, happy day!!!! THE CANDY!!!!!  Bags of candy-- mostly salt water taffy, which I don't really care for, but there is the occasional double bubble or tootsie roll.  I charge a mom tax on those and the kiddos have to hand them over.  I see no injustice in this arrangement whatsoever.

More fun 4th of July festivities tomorrow.  Yippeeee!!
Not a bad way to celebrate Georgie's first Independence Day.

3 comments:

Mothership said...

I love the kids draped all over the tree. SO fun. Who needs a jungle gym?

christini yogini said...

What fun! The reading tree, & relaxing time for mama is awesome!!!! Looks like the parade was fun!!! Light up a sparkler for me, they're illegal here! Hugs all around!

Amy F. said...

Tree envy!! Tree envy!! I'm off to repent, and watch Swiss Family Robinson.