Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer, Summer, Summertime...

We are settling into summer.  I can tell I'm finally relaxing because I've stopped a constant stream of thoughts planning our school year next year.  I was driving myself crazy.   We are finding time--lots of time--for fun. 
Elinor created a miniature scale replica of Grandma and Grandpa Fox's house.  I do believe it is structurally sound.
 
We went with friends to a matinee movie.  We saw Mr. Poppin's Penguins, which was not as good as the book (what movie is?).  It was hardly high-brow, but quite harmless and the kids enjoyed it.  With so much trashy media out there, I'll settle for harmless.
We had our 24th of July fireworks extravaganza!!!!
Abe puts on as good a fireworks show as $20 at Walmart can possibly buy.
The children beg for flame for their sparklers.  Abe told them he was the source of all goodness and  light.  Hmmm.....something seems not quite right there.
Clark won the "Piccolo Pete Screaming Contest".  His younger sisters gave him a run, but he is still the undisputed champion.  It's a gift he has had since his infancy.  So proud.
In the excitement of the pyrotechnics last night, these girls asked their mamas for what they knew they would not get.  A sleepover.  Neither their family nor our family do sleepovers, but I suppose they figured it was worth asking.  We mamas had to nix their plan.  
But these are smart ladies-- they regrouped and presented plan B.  They would meet early in the morning at our house, make a delicious pancake breakfast for us.
Bethany woke up early and set a beautiful table, complete with "queen crowns" and robes for the mamas, and menus.  
But alas, it was not to be.  Her friend got sick in the middle of the night and the royal breakfast was postponed to a later date.  Bitter disappointment.  Bethany did make breakfast, but it wasn't quite the same.  
Abe and the kiddos slept out in the backyard last night.  
I slept in my nice warm bed.  Does that make me a party pooper?  So be it.  Hey, someone needed to be inside in case Georgie woke up.  Also I stayed up way too late working on my 1000 piece puzzle.  I have spent several hours over the last couple of days working on this puzzle.  

What am I thinking?  Do I really have that kind of time to devote to a puzzle?  No.  I don't. 

My house is a mess, it's every man for himself for food, laundry is behind, and I really need to get some sleep.  But I feel remarkably relaxed when I'm doing the puzzle, and I can't seem to stop.  Hours pass and it feels like minutes.  Is that what it's like to be addicted to drugs?  Strangely relaxing and unable to stop.  I like it.
 The men folk did another big preparation hike today. 
They went up Rose Canyon.  The views were more impressive than the neighborhood "hikes" they've been doing.
And no nature hike would be complete without catching some wildlife.  Today it was this snake and a lizard.  He let the snake go, but the lizard came home with them.
Summer ice cream party. It doesn't get much better than that.

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

Yaaaaayyyyyy, for summer!!!!!
I say enjoy that puzzle!

Abe Fox said...

Summer, summer, summertime...
Time to sit back and unwind....