Friday, June 8, 2018

Summer Jam Session 2018

Our piano recital this year was a lot more fun than usual!  We brought in a drummer to rock out with the kids.
My awesome friend Dave is a man of many talents, and he was so kind to spend an evening rehearsing with all these kids and then performing in the rock concert recital the next evening.
As much fun as the music for this recital was, it was one of the most challenging recitals to prepare for.  The kids had to learn their pieces well enough to pass them off to a metronome so they were prepared to play them with the drums.
Some of the cute gals performing-- I love how so many of the kids really got into the fun spirit of the evening and dressed in their best rockstar clothing.
Shout out to Jakob Schramm photo bombing this picture!
 By far the best fashion statement of the evening was Kim (my only favorite adult student).  She played "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.  She killed it!
Bethany played her electric violin, Dave was on drums, and I was on keys.  We played the opening and closing numbers-- "Dancing Queen" and "Who's Crying Now".  Bethany was awesome!
It was so much fun to get to work with these two!
I adore all these boys, but do you see the little wanna be Beatle on the far right.  Hayden.
He played "Twist and Shout".  I gave him a tough song and he and I sort of went the rounds getting that song learned... BUT HE DID IT and he did it so well!  He brought down the house!  I was so proud of him!  And I love his look.
Awesome Katelyn-- this was her last recital with me.  She's just gotten too good and I'm sending her off to a more advanced teacher who can help her get to the next level.  I'm happy for her, but sad because I've taught her for about seven years and she's been delightful and I'm so proud her.  She played "Listen To Your Heart" and she rocked it!
These three ladies just get better and better the older they get.  Want to see something crazy...
Here they are (plus one more friend) at the first Summer Jam Session back in 2012-- six years ago.
Here I am with Dave and my kiddos on Tuesday night.
Six years ago.  We were so sad to not have Elinor with us for this year's recital-- she was at a youth conference type retreat with friends.  For the record, she's got a really great "Root Beer Rag" by Billy Joel worked up for her upcoming piano recital. 
Faith played "Shut Up and Dance" and she and Dave had kids up and dancing in the aisles.  It was fun to have lights on the stage, but have the lights off in the main room.
Faith picked up this jacket on a recent treasure hunt at a thrift store.  She didn't know when she would ever wear it... until The Summer Jam Session!  The boys weren't sure what to wear, but fortunately they had a dance dress recital the same evening as the recital.  The all black was the base of their tap costume.  Add some hippie glasses and your all set to perform Beatles songs.
George played "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da."
Cannon played "Ticket to Ride".  I loved the drums on his piece.
This was a great recital to brings kids to because dancing and clapping and cheering was encouraged--as was waving cell phones in the air and hooting and hollering.
It's going to be hard to top this recital!









No comments: