Saturday, June 23, 2018

Let's Go Hiking!

Red Potato Trail
I dropped Cannon off at his afternoon ballet workshop and I went home and told the kids to put on their shoes and socks and get in the car-- We're going adventuring!
We drove over to Draper, up near the temple and found a trail. 
Bethany and Elinor both had work obligations, so it was just the younger kids.
Faith was a super trooper!  She was very helpful with a tired little Peter.  Pete did pretty well, but the trail was mostly downhill for the first half and uphill for the second half.  We liked this trail.
Greta likes getting toted around on our hikes.  We could probably use a better baby carrier-- this one was a budget level when we bought it 18 years ago when Clark was a baby.  But it still works!
Peter is very audible in both his delights and miseries in our adventures.  Either way, I'm sure it's good for him.
Bonneville Shoreline Trail-- Hidden Valley Park to Bear Canyon Bridge
Thursday evening we hiked the Bonneville Shoreline Trail from Sandy towards Draper.  We really enjoyed this hike.  Not too steep, not too rocky, but quite lovely. 
Peter did pretty well, but it was a long hike for a three year old.  He enjoyed lots of piggy back rides throughout the hike-- just so he could "get his energy back".
Peter found this rock-- which he insisted he bring home to his rock collection.  I didn't even know he had a rock collection.  I don't think he actually does have a rock collection.  
Abe was a very patient hiking daddy.
Faith's friend Emma came along on the hike.
I like wearing out the boys in the great outdoors.  They go right to sleep at night:)
The bridge over this "Bear Canyon" was very cool, but it FREAKED ME OUT! It did not feel steady at all and it bounced and swayed.  I help Cannon's hand as we crossed it and I was squeezing it so tightly he was begging me to let go.  No way, Jose!  I couldn't wait to get off the bridge.  I do not like bridges.
You might notice that George's one hand, fingerless glove is back.  It's a fashion statement.
Cool rock tunnel.
Bonneville Shoreline Trail-- Coyote Hollow Trailhead to East Bench Trail Head
After being such a trooper and helping with Peter earlier in the week, Faith said she would really like to go on a hike just with me.  So we did!  We went this afternoon for a couple of hours.  
It was windy and not the most enjoyable trail we've hiked, but I adored the company.  Frankly, I was terrified most of the way that we were going to be attacked by a mountain lion.

I recently found a pair of hiking boots for Faith at DI.  They looked to be in very good condition and only $5.00!  Whoo-hoo!  What a deal!
Except that about 15 minutes into the hike almost the entire soles came off the boots!  WHAT THE HECK?  I told Faith it was okay and we'd just head back.  She said she was enjoying the hike and didn't want to turn back.  So we improvised and put hair elastics around the top and bottom of the boots and she made do.  She's pretty resourceful that way!

No comments: