Saturday, April 13, 2024

Wedding Bells

The past 4 months have passed in rather a fast moving, crowded blur to me.  I'll recap a few happenings, but biggest and best news of the last few months has been the engagement and marriage of Bethany to Ben Matz.  It was a happy day!  And that is also the main reason its been a blur.  My goodness, weddings are a lot of work!

How did we get to this point?  That is a story I shall now tell, for posterity's sake. 
Also, I'm somewhat of a heroine of the story:)

About five years ago-- June of 2019 to be exact) these two graduated from seminary, although each didn't know the other existed.  Ben was the youth speaker, and I figured his mom was Kim Matz, a counselor in the Stake Young Women's presidency.  He gave such good talk!  I remember him talking about playing football in high school (he was a captain) but even when he was in Jr. High, not wanting to be a part of the negative stuff other team members were engaging in and talking about.  And he was so nice-- so wholesome looking.  I was impressed. 

I leaned over to Bethany and whispered, "Do you think he's cute?  Would you want to go on a date with him?"

Affirmative on both questions.

Then I did what no self-respecting mother of a teenage girl should ever do, but I did it and I'm not sorry.  I like to think I was moved upon by the Spirit (and who's to say I wasn't?).  I went up to his mom, who I did not know and she did not know me, and said, "Your son did so well on his talk!  What a great kid! Oh... and I think he and my daughter Bethany would get along really well.  I think they should go on a date."

That wasn't creepy at all.

Kim was so gracious and smiled and agreed he was a wonderful son, and said she'd tell him.  And I thought that was the end of that.  Who knew?  Maybe he would contact her and they'd go on a date.  Or if not, hopefully Bethany would never know what I'd done.  

Lo and behold!  He called!  Apparently he wasn't too keen to go on a date with her until his mom informed him she was Miss Riverton.  What a good son to do what his mother asked:)  They went on a little date to Jamba Juice.  I understand he had a coupon (fiscally responsible, too).  Bethany had a great time and said she could marry someone like him.  As the story is told, he went home and told his dad he could really talk to her... although that she did talk a lot.

And that was it.  No more communication for 4 1/2 years.  

He had a mission call to Omaha, Nebraska and Bethany was headed up to BYU Idaho.  COVID happened and the world lost its ever-loving mind.  Bethany transferred to Utah State.  She went on a performing mission to Nauvoo, Illinois.  He came home from his mission and went down to Provo for school.  She came home from Nauvoo and went back up to Logan.  She gets called on a full-time, 18 month mission to Fort Worth, Texas.  

Fast forward 16 months... It is late June 2023.  Kim is still in the Stake YW presidency.  I am the YW president of our ward.  We know each other a little better now and are friendly, but we NEVER speak of "the date".   Kim and two of her sons (Zach and Nathan) and Cannon and I are in the Stripling Warrior scene of the long awaited Book of Mormon Youth Conference that had been delayed due to COVID.  After many rehearsals and much preparation, the day of the conference arrives.  During lunch one day, I am sitting by Kim and (because I had still not learned my lesson about not meddling) the conversation goes something like this:

Me:  So, uh... what's Ben up to these days?

Kim: He's in school

Me:  Oh, good for him.

Kim:  Doesn't Bethany come home soon?

Me:  Why, yes, indeed she does. 

I also added, (joking, but not joking) "You know, I'm still holding out hope for them" Ha ha!  

I know, I'm shameless.

It's now late July and I am at girls camp with several other wards from the stake.  The Stake YW presidency comes up for the evening and once again, I am sitting at a meal with Kim and I say, "So, guess who Facebook messaged Bethany?" 

BEN!! She seemed as surprised as I was when Bethany told me.  At this point it was about 6 weeks till she came home from Texas.  Kim had once again succeeded in getting the important message to Ben, but had no idea he would do anything about it.

Ben came to her mission homecoming, although he must have been in the back because we didn't see him. And that evening he texted her and asked her out.  Their second "first date" was on Labor Day 2023 and they've been pretty much inseparable ever since.

So, uh... I don't want to brag or anything, but I have successfully arranged one marriage and I am very open to arranging others for any of my children and or even my children's friends.  I have exquisite taste and judgement:)  

And that's where I sign off.  The story of their actual dating and engagement is really theirs to tell.  I mean, you know how good I am about respecting boundaries and such.  I would NEVER want to overstep my bounds. 

I'll share some pics of the wedding, but that is where my part of the story ends.  This is their love story and it has been a pleasure (most of the time) watching their relationship grow and just as I predicted, they do indeed get along very well and are very well suited to each other. We all LOVE Ben and we are so very happy for them. Welcome to he family!


Kim and I now get to be more than friends--- we'll get to share grandbabies! 

No comments: