Sunday, April 14, 2024

Welcome to Greta's World

I like being myself and I don't want to be anyone else.  But if I had to choose another person to be, I think I'd want to be Greta.  She enjoys life, she's cheerful and creative.  She's imaginative and can self-entertain for hours.  She's loving and talented and I just think her mind must be a fun place to be.  I enjoy her personality so much and everyday I am thankful she is in our family. Here are a few moments I've captured over the last couple months of Greta being Greta.

She was so delighted to hold this puppy at Diane's house (her violin teacher).
She reads very well, with lots of inflection and character voices.  
Clark has always been one of her favorite people and they've always had a special connection.

Abe with his oldest and youngest.  I adore this picture.
I'm sure all mothers can relate to the feeling of not being enough or doing enough for our children.  Am I doing right by them?  I fully believe a mom of one or two children can relate, although that is not my experience.  But I KNOW that a mom of many children-- especially a homeschooling mom of many children-- can feel stretched pretty thin and wonder if they have overextended themselves to their children's detriment.  
But when I look at this picture and I see the joy they have in one another-- the love between the oldest and the youngest-- what they learn and experience by having a sibling far removed in age.  It's almost like Clark is somewhere between a sibling and an uncle-- like half a generation.  There is no competition, here is just adoration on both sides.  
It has been quite tricky to simultaneously raise teenagers and babies, young adults and toddlers.  I can't say I think we've done it particularly well (not false modesty).  But along with the challenges have come a unique family dynamic that has benefitted our family in unexpected ways.  The older ones develop a  gentleness and softness and patience for little people.  The younger ones feel an added security that they are cared for by multiple big people and they are a part of something bigger than themselves.  This family has been around well before they joined the party and they can trust (or at least not resist) a way of life that has been good for other siblings before them.
That's the hope anyway:)  It just makes my heart happy anytime I see a picture of Clark and Greta together.
Today she is a scientist making potions.
She has a style all her own and I love it.  Why the bandana?  Why not?  I don't believe she was a cowgirl that day.  I think she just liked it so she wore it.  How refreshing.
One day she decided to learn some ukelele.  She is pretty quick with all things musical.
Sometimes when I am teaching piano to her best friend, the two of the them it is so fun for Greta to be the teacher.  I guess she's picked up a thing or two by listening to me teach day in day out.
The age gap between Faith and Greta is a little over ten years.  Faith is 18 and Greta will be 8 in a few weeks.  
Greta always has little projects she is busy with.  I don't think she has ever said she was bored.  She has tights on under her pants-- so either she just got home from dance or is about to get her hair done to go to dance.  I don't know which it was here.  But I can guarantee she wasn't happy to have her imaginations interrupted to go to ballet.
A little daddy-daughter date to see George dance at the Egyptian Theater in Ogden.
The day Greta decided to use the leftover blueberries from Bethany's bridal shower to make jam.  She looked up a recipe and went for it.  She's an independent little thing like that. I guess when you are the youngest of 8 in a busy family, you learn to take care of things yourself, rather than waiting for someone to help you.  

I appreciate that they like to read.  Is it always the most educational, quality literature?  Heck no!  I was much stricter with the older kids about what they read.  In hindsight, I don't think I needed to be that strict and I don't think it was terribly helpful.  I suppose you live and learn-- and younger kids reap the benefits.
Today she is Agent Q-- an FBI agent.  Note: I am in the background ironing tablecloths for Ben and Bethany's wedding, with stacks of boxes of wedding stuff.  Boy, was it nice to clear that out!
Today she is an astronaut.  This one absolutely slayed me!
This look involved a handheld air pump, a yellow nylon tow rope, a bicycle helmet and Pit Viper sunglasses.  And she wandered around the backyard for quite some time, as if she was exploring a moon-landing in actuality.  I'm telling you, I just want to spend a day in her brain.
And she adores her nephew Daniel.  
A lemonade stand with friends on the first really nice weather of spring.
Greta wasted no time in claiming Bethany's bed and her squishmallows on the night of the wedding.  The curls in her hair lingering from from her wedding hairdo.  
I love all that this picture represents-- there are endless  similarities between Bethany and Greta, both physically and personality-wise.  Here is Greta-- very much still a child--figuratively and literally slipping into Bethany's "shoes" or rather, bed- complete with Bethany's stuffed animals-- on the day that Bethany very much leaves childhood behind as a married woman.  It makes my heart a little tender, but it is beautiful.  

No comments: