Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Day 2 (Friday)-- Barbados

 

HA! They drive on the wrong side of the road!  Growing up in the military, I am not untraveled, but I'd never been in a country where they drive on the other side. ("other" is nicer than "wrong":)  It was pretty trippy at first.  Barbados is still really into masks.  Blah.

They brought welcoming little fruit and cheese plates up to our room at the Marriott hotel we stayed in.  This was a sign of good things to come.  I ate a lot of fruit and cheese on the trip.  Thinking about it makes me want to go get some right now.  I think I shall.  I'll be right back.

Okay, let us continue
The Bridgetown Barbados Misson office was quite near our hotel and the coast.  We've had a couple people in our ward serve there so we took a quick pic.
We couldn't wait to get our feet in the ocean.  And I will comment on the colors and temperature and clarity and perfection of the Caribbean water many more times before I am through, but HOLY WHAT???  Unbelievable.
If you want your vacation well-documented, consider inviting Abe and me along:)  With Abe's picture-taking and my blogging, every moment can be preserved for future generations.  Just consider:)
We walked along a lovely boardwalk while considering our options for dinner.
Abe was very much in his happy place.  
How about an oceanside table at Tapas?  Yes, please.  
Note:  It has been explained to me that eating and being served meals in a quick and efficient manner may be somewhat unique to our American culture.  That many, if not most, other countries have a much different and slower concept of what qualifies as good service.  Barbados and every other island we visited definitely ran on "Island Time" which was markedly more relaxed. 
I love the lone palm tree-- we called it "Abe's Tree"
There will be an obscene amount of selfies of Abe and me, however, I offer no apology.  We just wanted to try to capture every moment.  It was that good.
I don't know the history of this structure, but it was right on the beach.  It looked like some old prison/fort thing.  It was cool.
The background almost looked fake.
These two are serious travelers!  It's fun and quite stress-free to travel with friends who really know their way around the world.

The first of several cannons left from the 1700s we found on the islands.  Our son, Cannon, is so named because my maiden name is Cannon.  We share an affinity for cannons.
James and Andrea headed back to the hotel after dinner, while Abe and I weren't quite done adventuring for the day.  We walked along the beach for a while and we sat on a log by a little clump of trees and played a little kissy-face and there were fireflies!  It was magical. It was like we were in a movie!

No comments: