Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Shawn and Gus Live Happily Ever After

I have kept up this blog since Cannon was a couple months old.  It has been such a valuable part of my life for over eleven years.  At first my purpose was simply a record of our family, and it has definitely served that purpose well.  I love being able to look back at posts over the years and remember things I had almost completely forgotten.  My children will be able to read the blog and remember what day-to-day life was like, along with special occasions like birthday parties and family trips and recitals.  Their spouses and my grandchildren can know what (if anything) they want to know about what life was life in the Abe and Betsy Fox family. 
I saw my second purpose as time went on.  I found that the more stressed I was, the more I wanted to write.  I felt better after I had written on my blog.  It was therapy!  I didn't want to use the blog as a platform for whining and complaining.  It's not that there weren't hard times, but that wasn't where I wanted to focus and what I wanted to remember.  I believe that however much negativity and "bad things" there are, there are ALWAYS more good things.  So when I would write, I would put my life and my thoughts and my stress through the "filter" of my blog.  How did I want to think about what was happening?  How did I want to see my children?   I didn't want to be overwhelmed by challenges, so I tried to look for the good stuff.  In many ways, regularly writing this blog has helped shaped my thinking even when I wasn't writing.  It has helped me look for the positive.  It reminded me to notice that beautiful, simple moments of family life. 
And there is a lot to be seen by way of beautiful, simple moments. 
These two are so funny together.  I have mentioned before that for most of their lives, Elinor and Faith were the two children who got along the LEAST well.  Such is no longer the case.   Perhaps in Bethany's absence they decided to band together.  Perhaps their shared passion for swimming and water polo bonded them.  But perhaps I first noticed their undying affection for one another when they started watching a TV show called Psyche.  It's funny murder/detective show on Amazon Prime.  It is not a new show-- it originally ran from 2006-2014 (yes, I googled it).  They LOVE this show.  I recently sat down to watch a few episodes with them. 
**LIGHT BULB GOES ON!** Ahh, now I understand why they love each other and they love this show so much.  They are Shawn and Gus.  To be specific, Faith is Shawn and Elinor is Gus. 
One of their swim coaches tried teasing them, trying to inspire a sibling rivalry.  Nope, they were having none of it. 
At this point they have lost any and all interest in boys (well, Faith didn't really have much to begin with) and they just like swimming and hanging out together.   Works for me!
They did let me third wheel with them on Saturday night to the Miss Herriman Scholarship Competition.  Which was crazy fun!  Bethany was up at school and couldn't join us.  Sadness! She is planning a trip home this weekend for a Miss Utah workshop. Happiness!
Elinor is thinking she may go out for Miss Riverton this next year.  The age cut off is 17 and she will make it by a couple months.  Maybe that will be "Fox Overload", but you know, Fox Overload is sort of our style:)
 George's creative juices have been flowing again!
I don't know where he gets his inspiration for his creations, but I'm quite certain it is not from me. 
It's one of my favorite things about George.
Cannon and Faith got out our old NXT and EVE3 Lego robots yesterday and began sorting the pieces in preparation for building.  I love it when they get in this mode.  They are happily occupied and working together.  It makes checking off the school work boxes more challenging.  And I do love me some checking off boxes, but I think this kind of student led project learning is invaluable, and I just have to chill and let them have time for this.
 Sunday was our Primary program.  It's only the best Sunday of the entire year!  The Brothers Fox were all three in it and it was so fantastic.  Of special note, Peter's voice really carries when he sings.  As in, really carries across everyone else in the entire chapel-- even when the whole congregation is singing.  It's his gift:)  We are looking forward to seeing if his gift develops tone pitch as well.  In the meantime, we will treasure his enthusiasm and earnestness.  In other good news, Peter did not have any conflicts with any other children on the stand during the program.  Which is a marked improvement from the fist fight with the Lacy grandkid last year.

No comments: