Sunday, September 4, 2022

Day 6 (Tuesday) -- Beautiful Bequia

Before we went on this trip I didn't really think I liked being on boats.  They made me nervous.  I was wrong!  I love being on boats!--- at least this boat.  Day five was our longest day of sailing time and this was the day we encountered the roughest water.  It wasn't actually very rough, but for a landlubber like me, it was enough to apply another motion sickness patch.  I went up to the flybridge and kept my eyes on the horizon and I was good to go.

So, so many pictures of me.  Can you tell that Abe manned the camera most of the time?
we kayaked to the shore of Bequia (pronounced beck-WAY)  This was a very, very cool island.  It was definitely one of our favorites. Incredible snorkeling, awesome hike through the village, beautiful sandy beach.
This was Princess Margaret Beach (named after Queen Elizabeth's sister, who enjoyed these islands)
This was Admiralty Bay.  
Look at that sand!
This water was unbelievably warm and clear.
Bequia had some of the most beautiful snorkeling on both sides of the bay.  





Disclaimer: Our underwater pictures got a little mixed up with which pictures go on which days.  I'm trying to remember what underwater wonders we saw where, but I'm struggling.  Also, I don't think it matters too much.  It was all awesome.
After some beach time and snorkeling, we went back to the boat to get ready for our first of two dinners ashore.  Boo--Hiss!!!! We want to stay on the boat!!!!! 
Meet our friend, Willy.  He sails and rows his tiny boat around to the yachts moored in the bay selling jewelry that his wife makes.  The crews know him and let him on and he sells his wares.  But what I LOVED about Willy, was the name of his boat.  No Complain.  He was so friendly and I couldn't help feeling this man has figured out the secret to happiness:)
We took a little time in the afternoon to make ourselves all clean and pretty and then Donny took us to shore for a bit of shopping (pretty much the only island where there was any kind of shopping, and even at that, there wasn't much), and to have our dinner at a restaurant called Laura's.
I loved all the colors of the houses.  In the words of Anne of Green Gables---- "so much scope for the imagination!"  We decided to go see if we could find an old fort Abe had read about.  While walking through the town, we came across a man in uniform that worked at the customs dock.  He told us to follow the road (the only road) and it would lead us to the fort.
He was right-- we couldn't get lost and we did find it.  We really enjoyed walking through the homes.
There were five cannons pointed in all different directions.  It was impressive.


This might be my favorite picture of us on the trip.  We just had such a fun time exploring the island.
We had walked from the other side of that long red and white ferry on the far right.  The whole round trip was maybe three miles.
Gorgeous setting for a lovely dinner.  
The one (or two) downside was that the service took forever-- that whole cultural difference thing---, and I was quite tired from our big day combined with my motion sickness patch.  I just wanted to crawl into my bed and be rocked to sleep again.
When we got back to the boat, the crew had freshened up our rooms and made everything more lovely than anyone ever deserves!  At the end of the trip, Abe declared Bequia his favorite island.  It had such a relaxed, beautiful feel.

No comments: