Monday, March 18, 2019

Sometimes I Forget How Old I Am

Mmm... guess who went to space camp on Saturday.  THIS MOM!
Yep, this is me in the transporter ready to go into the briefing room to get details on the four hour space mission we were about to fly.  Oh, the pressure.
My honey was there too-- he was the Operations Officer and I was Science and Counterintelligence.  Let's be real, I probably wasn't the best choice for Science Officer.  I have no business sending probes out into space to scan other planets for plutonium.  Alas, when my Captain needed me, I bumbled through.
Our crew of highly skilled officers on the bridge.  If you have never been to space camp, I really think you must go sometime.  It's really fun and a lot more intense that you might think a bunch of people wearing black chef jackets and pretending to be in a Star-Trek episode would be.  I highly recommend it.  Also, it makes you not feel super old.  It makes you feel like even though you are 41 years old and you have 8 children and your schedule is so full it makes your head spin... but if you can still get into space camp... there is still fun to be had in life.  So yeah.  Go to space camp.  And invite us to go with you:)
I think this is my third time going-- so that pretty much makes me a veteran.  A veteran who has no idea how to send probes into space.
Who knew there were so many varieties of probes and items you could send on the probe?  For the record, the decoy package was the most frequently sent.  Now you know.

Ah, but space camp was not the only outing this week for which I was well above the average age of the participant.
The four of us-- Andrea and Raven and Bethany and I went to a Jukebox the Ghost concert downtown at The Complex.
It was a snowy and wet evening.  It was standing room only-- no seats-- so we stood for about 5 hours straight.  Now let's be real. I am the kind of person who usually goes to concerts that require a lot of decorum and good behavior.  I know when to politely clap (when the conductor puts both hands all the way down) and when to wait for another ten minute movement to end.  I'm more period dramas----less super hero movies.  I'm not saying one is better than another-- rather it is just my preference.  So needless to say, I don't go to many rock concerts.
... As is evidenced by this picture!  And frankly, Andrea (no offense intended) is clearly in the same boat as me.  But whatever.
The opening act was a group of young men that I really never care to see or hear from again.  I think they were called Arrested Youth.  Yeah, don't even bother Googling them.  Hopefully they will just go away.
Harsh?  Perhaps.  But Bethany was cracking up when they came on stage.  She was like, "Are they for real?  They are so stupid!"
The second band was The Mowglis, and while they weren't my favorite, they were such a marked improvement from the opening act, that for a while I thought I really liked them.  
The main event was Jukebox the Ghost, which, if I'm being honest, I hadn't heard of until Andrea invited Bethany and I a week before the show.  Well, I had heard some of their songs because Bethany really likes the band, but I didn't know who I was hearing.  But you know what?  I LOVED THEM!!!  I love their music-- its fun, varied, upbeat and they are legit musicians.  
Also, to get to be there with lifelong friends Bethany and Raven was a real treat.
Andrea was the mastermind behind space camp and the concert this week. 
Do you know the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie?  Andrea is like character Muzzy-- "Searching!  Always searching!"  She is fearless and adventurous and always seeking out the best things this world has to offer and bringing those around her along for the ride.  She helps keep me young and I am grateful.

No comments: