Thursday, June 17, 2021

Fox Swim School 2021


The joy of our lives these days is this backyard swimming pool.  I mean, I have a lot of joys in my life, but this is THE JOY of our lives the last couple weeks.  The children are living in swim suits and swimming to their hearts content with each other and with friends every day.  It is likely one of the best decisions Abe and I have ever made.  Do I exaggerate?  I don't think I do.  It has been absolutely heaven.  In fact, when I die and go to heaven (hopefully:) I expect it will be abounding in  sunshine and swimming pools. 

Faith is sort of responsible for the acquisition of the pool, in that she wanted to teach swim lessons this summer.  There was a real need for swim lessons as the Salt Lake Rec Centers aren't offering swim lessons yet (thank you, COVID) and a couple other local private swim schools shut down.  So she wrote a letter to Abe, kindly convincing him of her plan.  I don't know if you've ever been a recipient of one of Faith's persuasive letters (most likely not), but she is good.  Really good.  A couple days later, Abe was shopping online for a pool. 

We thought, "Oh, sure, it will be a good little entrepreneur project for her and maybe she'll make a couple hundred bucks".   Clark set up a Google sheets sign up and she was in business.
Her plan worked!  Within a week her first couple of weeks of teaching were booked and word continues to spread.  She is doing such a good job and is a great teacher to lots of little swimmers.  
And she has made considerably more than a couple hundred bucks.  What the heck?  One of the things that has been so fun about the whole project is that for two or three hours every morning and afternoon there are lots of friends coming over to play while they await their turn in the pool with Faith.  We've never had such a social summer!  And often times while Faith is teaching swim I am teaching piano.  There are lots of kids coming and going and we couldn't be happier.  
I came across this quote recently-- and with all the teaching going on at our house, it really spoke to me.  This may be the shortest, best philosophy of education I've ever seen.  I love it. 
Faith adores the McGarry kids-- she babysits for them and teaches the girls gymnastics and all the kids swim lessons..
They insisted on the swim caps:)
If we'd known how well Faith's Fox Swim School would do, we might have made her contribute to the cost of the pool!  As it is, at least we get free swim lessons for Peter and Greta:)

No comments: