Sunday, June 16, 2019

A Week of Pageantry

Well now.  That was seriously fun.
Bethany and I went to all four nights of the Miss Utah Scholarship Competition in preparation for her participation in the competition next year.  We took lots of pictures of ourselves because we wanted to remember the experience.  Also, because we didn't wear jeans even once and that was something different and unusual for me!
There is a lot more to this organization than I realized.  I have come away with a lot more respect and admiration for the young ladies who participate.  I am so happy for Bethany- to have somewhat unexpectedly ended up on this course for the next year-and I believe it will help her to be her best self.
Just like Bethany, this cute gal was recently crowned Miss Provo and she will be competing in Miss Utah next year.
With the exception of the last evening, we rode Trax downtown each night.  It's always a cultural experience.
One of the best parts of the week was when several people would see us, and of course, they would look at Bethany first because-- Hello!  She has a sash that says Miss Riverton and she's gorgeous and I'm a 40 something mom-- so yeah--- and then they would look at me and say, "I can tell you are mother and daughter.  You look so much alike!"
*sniff, sniff THANK YOU!!!!
Now, I'm going to take a moment to share the secret of our fashion success.  Bethany is the absolute best DI and Savers shopper.  She is the thrift store pageant queen!  Almost everything she wears is second-hand.  Knowing Miss Utah was coming up, I took her with me a couple weeks back to help me buy some clothes that weren't jeans and t-shirts.  I don't wish to brag-- nor do I have right to at all (I do recognize that) but I think we did a pretty good job. 
This is one of my favorite pictures from the week.   These are a few of the ladies who will be doing Miss Utah next year.  They were so excited to meet each other and they were so confident and happy and friendly.  I am so excited for Bethany form these friendships.
This little cutie was there with her mom, who recognized Bethany from one of the city's DARE graduations Bethany spoke at.  Also, Bethany taught this little one swim lessons.
Here are a few Riverton people.   The two ladies on the left were former Riverton city attendants who were competing with other titles this year.  The one in yellow is the previous Miss Riverton who was in the competition this year and then the mayor of Riverton and his daughter, who was Riverton's Little Miss.  It's a whole new sort of weirdly wonderful world to us we are just getting a glimpse into. 
Bethany and Miss Herriman-- who work together at the pool.
It was a fabulously entertaining week.  To get to spend so much time with Bethany before she heads to college was a rare treat, indeed.  We had hours and hours to talk about so many topics.  We giggled and laughed about silly stuff and we discussed and thought and important stuff.  It's going to be an exciting year for her to prepare for Miss Utah 2020.  

No comments: