Saturday, June 22, 2019

Peter Saves the Day

In a couple of months or so, Peter will turn five.  Five is traditionally the age that little ones start "school".  The same is true for our homeschool.
But Truth Moment.
For about three years I have lived in fear of starting school with this one.  So much power of will.  So much determination.  So MUCH of everything.  Clark was challenging and I feared I might not have it in me to walk the path with another "spirited child".
But you know what?  I think it's going to be okay.  More than okay.
This week he started begging to "please start doing piano lessons".  I had planned to slowly, slowly, slowly begin this fall.  But since he was so sincere in his asking, I agreed to take him on a special trip to Walmart to pick out a piano notebook.  He excitedly ran through the store and excitedly picked out a green notebook.  Had to be green.
As soon as we got home, we got right to work.
And let me just say, he did well.  Not, "Well, he did well for a really little kid..." But he actually did WELL.  In the last three days he has repeatedly hounded me to practice with him-- and for long chunks of time.  I ask him if he is all done and wants to take a break.  He says, "No! I want to play the next one!"  I eventually have to tell him that I want to take a break.  What. The. Heck?

This may be my favorite child-video every.  So earnest and so honest:)
And since piano went so well, I thought we might give reading a go.  Guess what?  It was good.  I underestimated him.  This changes my feelings about the coming fall and he might just be the inspiration I need to stay excited about our homeschooling the back half of the family.

No comments: