Sunday, August 4, 2019

Seize the Day!

Um... well... it was only the greatest weekend of my life!!!!  A little hyperbole never hurt anyone.
Bethany and Cannon were a part of the cast of Bluffdale Arts production of Newsies.  Easily the best Bluffdale production I've ever seen-- and I have been very impressed in the past.  I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!
This will likely be Bethany's last play for a while since she is headed up to BYU-Idaho next month.  She picked a good one to go out on--- she knocked it out of the park!  She is beautiful on stage and the singing and dancing was right up her happy alley.  She never shines so bright as when she gets to sing and dance.  She played the part of "Finch".  She had a several lines and some singing solos, so that was fun for her and us.  I LOVE watching her perform and only one thing could draw me away from watching her magnetic personality on stage.  
And that was...
Cannon.  
He played the part of "Les" and ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  I mean, who am I?  I'm only the boy's mother-- what do I know?  But he KILLED it!  Great timing with his lines.  Great singing.  GREAT DANCING!!! 
I was in a very happy place this weekend.
I had not attended any of the dress rehearsals, so while I had heard very good things about the show, I was blown away.  So clean, so polished.  Such great choreography and use of an incredible set. In this picture Cannon is front and center in the blue pants and Bethany is just to the left behind him.  This scene was from "Once and For All".
At this moment, when Bethany and Cannon were tapping in "King of New York" I was concerned my mother heart would burst wide open.  Was I proud of them?  You better believe it, but mostly I just couldn't stand how much I enjoyed watching them both doing something they had worked so hard at and were so good at and loved so much.  That is about as good as it gets.
Usually when I play ends I have thoroughly enjoyed it, but am glad to have it be done and ready to get things back to normal.  Not so this time.  We seized the day and I want to do the day over again!
Chris and Marjorie and family came on Thursday.  
A few of the Young family came opening night.
Some Cannon cousins on Friday.
Schramm Fam friends on Friday.
My favorite trio of friends-- Enoch was great in the play.
The kid who played "Crutchie" is the most adorable and talented young man I have ever seen!  I just wanted to take him home and be his mom because he completely convinced me that he is an orphan with a crippled leg.  
This one is similar to an earlier picture, but I can't get enough.
This is curtain call.
If only I could bottle the feeling of this weekend and just take little sips of the joy whenever I felt like it.  This weekend it was like drinking joy and satisfaction from a garden hose.  I could not take it all in.
Bethany with a few of the "Brooklyn Newsies".
As with any group of teenagers, there is always going to be some drama-- likely more drama when you are with a lot of drama kids-- but this was a fantastically great group of kids who had the time of their lives this summer.
Sadly Cannon was anxious to get out of his costume and hot flannel shirt, so he wasn't in these final pics.
Be forewarned, when the professional pictures from the show come out, I will do another post sharing my favorites.  I am not done yet.  Oh, no.  I am not done yet.  These will have to do for now.
So many people sacrifice so much time and talent and work to make these shows happen.   It is not unappreciated.  These experiences have and will continue to shape the lives of many in our family.  We are so grateful.
I have a fever for more Newsies.  I hear Herriman is producing it next summer...

No comments: