Sunday, June 5, 2022

Memorial Day 2022

This was a different Memorial Day than in years past.  Namely, we were missing Uncle Lane.  He passed away a couple of months ago.  He was the heart of our family gatherings at Wasatch Lawns at 9:00 am on Memorial Day, every Memorial Day for 25 years.  He would share stories of my Clark ancestry.  With Uncle Lane being gone (in body, at least) Aunt Diane and his daughter Christy and her family didn't quite feel up to meeting up with lots of people.  Which I completely understand and respect.  It's still so fresh and painful.  I do hope our tradition of meeting up resumes next year  We missed them. So, in the end, it was just my parents and my sister's family and us.  And the other thing that made this year a little different was the rain.  It was cold and rainy for most of the day.

I like this picture because it's not perfect.  I admit, our children are well-trained in taking great family pictures.  We have Abe to thank for that.  I appreciate that-- but I also like that Faith and Cannon are vying for height advantage and Greta is about to punch Peter.  It's the little things:)
It was especially rainy at Valley View Cemetery.  It was kind of funny because usually, we take our time standing at our grandparents' and great-grandparents' gravesites.  We share stories and enjoy each other's company.  This year we dropped our flowers, said how awesome they were, and RAN to the next one and then to the cars.  The kids loved it!
As is becoming tradition, our first lunch idea didn't work out.  Waiting an hour to be seated with this many kids was not an option. We ended up having lunch at Chuck-a-Rama.  Look, it's not great food.  Like, really not great food.  I'm not even a foodie, and I can tell you, it's not great food.  But the kids were happy and we could easily get seated with a big group.  So there you have it.  
Faith Fox by Faith Woolf (Abe's great-grandmother on his father's side).
George & Cannon at George Q Cannon 's gravesite.
My dad and a few of his grandchildren.
My niece, Takara, shared the story of Rodney Badger's death.  He is my great, great, great grandfather and the first law enforcement officer to lose his life in the line of duty in the state of Utah.   He saved a mother and four children and died while trying to save the other two in the Weber River.
Visiting the Kirkham gravesite in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.  (Abe's great grandparents on his mom's side).
Baden and Mary's family were in town and they joined us for dinner.  It was meant to be an outdoor hotdog roast-- but the weather was not cooperative.  No matter, a good time was had by all anyway.  We celebrated Cannon's birthday.  Faith and Eliza put 14 candles in a cupcake!
It was great to have Clark and Elinor & Brandon join us.
Brandon took the kids for a little joy ride in the neighborhood.
We thought Henry accidentally fell in the pool.  Come to find out, Greta dared him to jump in.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.
They've grown up!
Baden is a big Weezer fan-- it's a topic Clark likes to discuss with him.  He showed the young folk how it's done.

No comments: