Sunday, August 1, 2021

The Moyie 2021

 

Sunday afternoon we drove the 2+  hours up to the northern most part of Idaho to the family's rustic A-frame cabin that sits beautifully situated along the Moyie river.  We haven't taken advantage of this opportunity very often over the years.  I guess wilderness and river and rustic didn't seem very appealing with babies and toddlers.  But WOW!! It was a whole new world this time around.  Everyone can swim.  No one is prone to wandering off.  No crawling on dirty ground, everyone sleeps through the night, and no diapers.  Yes, a whole new world has opened to us and we LOVED our time at the Moyie.

READY, AIM, FIRE!  Throwing rocks to try to hit the log across the river.  Abe, Clark, and Elinor were victorious.
No luck with the fishing
Us
When I asked Abe his favorite part of our whole trip, he said swimming across the Moyie River with the kids was way up there.  
Abe said the river was quite low and warmer than usual.
Our campfire time was beyond delightful-- it was a rousing rendition of Campfire Confessions.  So much laughter.  Campfire confessions is a tradition we learned from the Timothy family.  Basically, it is a time when you can confess with immunity to infractions of family rules, blown curfews, petty thefts within the family, misbehaviors, white (or not so white) lies, etc.  Sometimes we request retelling of infamous campfire confessions.  
One of the great things about the Moyie, is there is no cell phone service or internet.  So although we were bummed to miss our phone call with Bethany on Monday, it was pretty great to ditch the screens for a while.
Little Miss Helpful.  I am not being sarcastic.  She really is super helpful.
Abe's campfire confession?  That he likes it when I nap in the car so he can drive however he wants with no input from me.  Hmmm.
My campfire confession?  I paid $16.00 for a watermelon on the way to the Moyie.  I really wanted watermelon.  I can't reveal anyone else's campfire confession, I will only say, the retelling of "The Great Sucker Yeet" is legendary.
We really are city folks I guess, because the newfound joy of splitting logs thoroughly entertained us.
Heck, I even got in on the action.
Action shot!  I just split my first log and the two pieces are falling to the ground.  That's how it's done.  Never mind how may ax chops it took me.  I did it.
We drove the less than ten miles to the Canadian border.  Peter is unhappy in this picture and I don't recall why.  But actually, this was not Peter's normal mood on our trip.  He was quite a happy camper most of the time.  He's come a long way:)
We hiked to Copper Falls-- it was a shady, short, beautiful hike-- no one lodged any complaints.  
Yay!!!
We had some rock climbers.
Us again.
Oh my!  
One by one kiddos took a waterfall shower in their clothes--- Cannon was first
Then Elinor--
Then Peter and Faith
George got in on it too.
I suppose hiking back out sopping wet wasn't as much fun as hiking in, but at least it was short.
I think I'll need to do more waterfall meditation.  That was good stuff.
After a tasty lunch back at the cabin, we headed just up the road a bit to Lake Sinclair for swimming. Elinor didn't hesitate and went in head first.
Nice form
Are you enjoying these series photos?  Good, Here's more--



Well now, that's just fun.
Faith did a few front flips off the dock.  There were three local boys swimming there, too.  They were great and there was a bit of a belly flop challenge issued.  Dude, Cannon represented the family well!
For me, our time at Lake Sinclair was one of the highlights of the trip.  Faith even donned her swim cap and got a little workout in.
This was a fun moment when Abe and some kids swam across the river to the log just in time for the train to pass by.  I think everyone in our family loves the sound of trains coming through because it reminds us of Grandma's house.
A walk in the woods.
Faith braided my hair.
Which then made my gray hairs more noticeable and the boys were so good as to try to pluck out a few.  It was futile.
Faith shared her skills with Clark as well:)
Hey look, it's us again.
We left early Tuesday morning, but we definitely hope to return to the Moyie sooner rather than later.  It was wonderful.
On our way out we stopped at The Bread Basket as per Amy's recommendation--the doughnuts did not disappoint:)

No comments: