Monday, July 1, 2019

Our First Riverton Rodeo

Friday night Abe and I went on a date to the Riverton Rodeo.  We have lived here for twelve years and have never gone before, but because Bethany was going to be riding in the opening ceremonies, we decided to check it out.  AND I AM SO GLAD WE DID!
It was so so so very American!  I mean, it was American like what I remember as a kid.  Unabashedly, patriotically in love with America.  I loved it.
It felt like stepping back in time.  This exact event could have been taking place 50 years ago. 
Of course it was great fun to see Bethany ride with the royalty.
As someone recently commented, "It's really too bad she's not enjoying being Miss Riverton!"
There was a little petting zoo at the park before the rodeo.  Bethany is in love with this alpaca.  I admit, a backyard alpaca might be fun.
Several little girls and even a little boy came over to talk to Bethany and get a picture with her.
Abe and I had such a good time and were so impressed with the "cultural experience", we decided we must bring the kids Saturday night.
We got there early (as a large group really must do to all get seats together).  It is a somewhat rare thing for us to all to be seen in public together:)
A reunion of the Foxy Ladies.  With Elinor and Faith having both been away at camps this week and Bethany always working-- we were pretty happy to be together again.  Okay, they were happy-- I was ecstatic!
So here's the thing about this rodeo.  IT IS DANGEROUS!!!!  As in, I-can't-believe-this-is-a-legal-activity kind of dangerous.  Grown men are getting thrown off of 2,000 pound bulls.  Bucking broncos are trampling their little riders.  A guy's hand got tangled in his rope and it took multiple men on horse back trying to release him while his family screamed and cried in the stands and actually rushed the arena to try to help.  WHAT. IN. THE. HECK?!  At time I felt akin to the Romans watching prisoner gladiators compete in the Colosseum.
Part of me was truly horrified and I couldn't watch many of the rides.  In my oh-so-humble opinion, this is ridiculously crazy stupid.  I would never want my children to ride in a rodeo. 
But here's the main thing about the rodeo.  THIS IS AMERICA and other people do like riding in a rodeo, so I don't have to agree with them.  I don't have to demand that they don't do an activity that I think is dangerous.  They are free to take the risk.  They are free to pray a scripted "cowboy prayer" before the rodeo begins. 
It seems to me that in this "rodeo world", people are not seen a fragile, breakable things that need to be coddled and kept safe from physical and emotional harm.  Rather, I gather they believe hard work and experience in the real world builds and strengthens them.  When a rider falls off, the announcer encourages the audience to clap and sends them on their way to try again another day.  There is no blaming a mean horse or giving the rider another chance because something wasn't fair.  No one is a victim and there was no whining.  There was toughness and grit and I liked it.  I found it refreshing and inspirational. 
Forgive the blurry picture, but this next part, you almost have to see to believe.  THE CASH COWS.
Here's how it works:  At two different times during the evening they had age group of kids climb and hop the fences and run into the arena.  They line up the kids (6-8 first then 9-12).  Then they release three good sized calves wearing pink coats with dollar bills taped all over them, and the kids chase down the calves to get the money.  In the end it's like a feeding frenzy with children and calves rather than sharks and a dead whatever. 
WHO THINKS OF THESE THINGS?  The announcer says it is "at your own risk", but there were no waivers signed.  Which is fine-- but it's just not how things are done nowadays.   FREAK-- nowadays you'd have to sign a waiver just to let your kid climb the dang fence!  So yeah... it was a fascinating couple of evenings.  And I will totally go back next year.
Not surprisingly, George did pretty well with the cash cow.  Ha ha ha!  If there is something to collect, you know George will be there front and center.  Six bucks, baby!  Also, this wins my favorite picture of the whole rodeo.
Bethany getting a kiss from the alpaca is a close second.
Oh, and I'm rather fond of this one too.  So happy to have Elinor back home.  She was so far beyond tired, but she came with us anyway and still looked gorgeous.

And now this week is Town Days with all the festivities and we are pretty stoked.
Late night run to Arctic Circle for some grub.  It was a night to remember

No comments: