Saturday, July 27, 2019

Summer Potpourri

Ahhh... family time is the best.
And I am not being sarcastic.  The relaxation and comfort of being at home with the people you love best in the world is priceless.  Sunday afternoons are the greatest thing ever invented.
 Here are Elinor and Savannah as they headed off to EFY a couple weeks back.  Elinor had a great time and she came home full of happiness and love for the gospel and life (which is the whole point of EFY!).  She was happy that even after a self-described "horrible audition" she got to play "Root Beer Rag" in the variety show.
Along with a group of Savannah's cousins (and cousins of cousins) she stayed with Savannah's grandparents up in Logan for the stay-at-home EFY.  They were very well-cared for and she was so glad she went. 
 The annual neighborhood Primary parade.   Bethany was a good sport to make a "Miss Riverton" appearance.  A sash and crown always adds a little more legitimacy:) This little parade is short and sweet and great fun.
So, so cute.
Peter and his best dude at the start of the parade.
Greta and her best gal pal at the park after the parade.
Faith is a master of entertaining children.  She organized a duck-duck-goose game.  Our bishop joined the fun-- he is the best!
I suppose sometimes we get so used to being a part of a wonderful neighborhood and ward family that we forget the blessing that it is.  That our children great friends and loving adults to look out for them and safe places to learn and grow-- it becomes our norm.  But it is amazing and I am very grateful.
Later that same night we went to our orthodontist's patient appreciation summer party at the pool.  First of all-- the concept of a patient appreciation party is a weird thing.  I mean, your doctor's office throws no such party.  Why is it a thing with orthodontists?  What I'd really like is for the orthodontist to charge me less for braces and I'll just go to the pool myself with that money.  But whatever.  We went.
And Peter was one of the three winners selected in the "Crazy Cat-Walk" competition. So yeah.  I guess the night just got weirder.  He won this fetching lei.
A little father/son outing.  We aren't very good about planning and executing spectacular one-on-one child/parent dates.  But we Abe does a pretty good (dare I say remarkable!) job of having special little moments with each of the kids mixed into the normal flow of life.  This time Abe took George with him on a little trip to the local Walmart and it ended in courtesy cone from Arctic Circle.
George's master-creative mind is at it again.  He designed this horsey-back ride saddle for Greta.  On some level I think I should have protested the use of his church ties for stirrups-- but frankly, I was mostly just impressed with his resourcefulness.
Pretty cool, eh?
She is going through a "tube-squeezing" phase.  Mmm... it's a lot of fun.  I am totally being sarcastic.  I find toothpaste squeezed out in the sink, lotion (as pictured), a pile of muscle rub under a desk.  One never knows when one will come upon such a little treat.  Whoever described the two's as terrible, never had a three year old:)
Isn't he marvelous???  Less than five months till he comes home!!!!!
Clark sent home "Texas-opoly" for the family last Christmas.  It's all the rage at our house right now.
George attended his first (and I suppose last) Cub Scout day camp this past week.
He loved it.  What did he love best?  THE TRADING POST-- where he could buy and collect.  This whole collecting, buying, hoarding things appears not to be a phase.  I am low-key concerned.
Last Friday night Abe and I enjoyed dinner with some of my favorite people ever--- cousins and cousin spouses.  I unabashedly give  Ben (the tall guy) "favorite cousin" status.  He's pretty consistently been awarded the title since he was born one week after me.  No offense intended to my many other completely fabulous cousins. 
We ate at a BBQ place in Lindon called The Smoking Apple.  I'm not generally a big BBQ fan, but this place was super good!!  I'm also not generally regarded as a foodie/connoisseur type, but the rest of the group was similarly impressed.  I've been thinking of this meal for the last week and I must return sooner rather than later.   Whose coming with me?

No comments: