Sunday, July 28, 2019

Summer Hodge Podge

Generally speaking, the fuller our family schedule is, the more content I am. I like a tight schedule, knowing who is going where and making it happen.  I like people being productive and not wasting time.  I'm a lot of fun that way.  You can imagine how much everyone enjoys my company.  But every now and then we have an opening in the schedule and I like to surprise the kids with an unexpected outing.  A week or so ago this grouping of Foxes went to In-and-Out Burger just because.
Greta loves "hambur-bers".
Peter was actually not mad in this picture.  I think he was going for really cool.  
I think he was successful😎
When my sister and I were younger we somehow acquired a multi-colored, large polka-dot white shirt.  My mom thought it looked like a Wonder Bread bag and she hated it.  My sister particularly loved this Wonder Bread shirt.  It became a source of some contention between my mom and sister.  Why did my mom care that much?  It was just a shirt.
Fast forward 35 years and Cannon has this Flash hat that I hate.  I just hate this hat.  Cannon loves it.  It's a bit of an issue.  Why do I care that much?  It's just a hat.
She created this look herself and I think it's working for her!  
I am quite proud of these two boys this summer.  This past Thursday they finished a total of six weeks of ballet workshops.  Cannon logged almost 120 hours and George did 60.  Let's not talk about how many hours Abe and I logged driving them to and fro.  They both worked hard and really enjoyed it.  We are all happy for them to have a couple weeks off before regular classes resume mid-August.  
And speaking of hard working... Bethany and Cannon have bonded this summer over Newsies rehearsals and set building.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!  This is the highlight of my summer and I'm not even in it!
Poor Cannon took an elbow to the eye at one rehearsal last week.  All is well now.
He plays the part of "Les", the youngest newsie.  He's had a growth spurt this summer, so I think he's a little taller at this point than the director was hoping he'd be, but not much can be done about that.  Between ballet all day and rehearsals all evening, this eleven year-old will enjoy a much deserved break after the show.  And yet, I have to hand it to him, he has handled it like the pro that he is (or shortly will be!)
 I ADORE MY ELINOR!!  She is 16 now and so grown up in so many way.  But every now and then I get a glimpse of my "old Elinor" when she was, shall we say, a little more quirky and uniquely herself.  Today she taped on herself this stunning set of sharpie-lid fake nails.  She was thrilled with the result and I just wanted to bottle up a dose of awesome Elinor for a day when I need cheering up. 
I am telling you, she is a gem.
I really liked her tip jar on the piano while she practiced.  Might as well try. 
  Cannon and his buds walking home from church.  Wonderful to think these four will be ordained deacons in January and will passing the Sacrament at church.  They are great boys.
When will I learn?  DI is not a good place to buy puzzles.  Sure, they are cheap, but they are also missing pieces!!!  This one was missing six.  Is it worth the extra 10 dollars to buy new?  I don't know.  I am torn on this issue.  And why is there no neighborhood puzzle exchange?  Seriously, no one ever a does a puzzle twice.  Once we are done we might as well pass them along.
When Elinor was away at EFY I got my old 5 am water polo driving job back.  I had not missed it.  But here's the miraculous thing that makes it worthwhile.  Do you see that smile?  That's at 4:55 am.  That's love and gratitude for the opportunity to do what she loves.  Oh, yeah.  It's worth it. 
The Draper parade.  Abe took the kiddos and I sat this one out.  He did say this parade was the best in terms of the most double bubble gum thrown out.  What can I say?  It's my favorite parade treat.
Confession:  When I first saw our city's float I was not impressed.  But I admit, it has sort of grown on me.  I especially like the patriotic effect with the girls red, white, and blue dresses.  For obvious reasons I wish the royalty were a little more visible, but I appreciate the float nonetheless. 

No comments: