Monday, July 23, 2018

Greta Turns Two At the Top of the World

You know how sometimes something bad happens that you don't like and you don't think you deserve?
But then sometimes...sometimes you know you got something so much more wonderful and better than you could ever deserve or even hope for?
Her name is Greta and she's two and she is joy and sunshine to my heart.
She is talking so much and so well that she "graduated" from her speech therapy sessions this past week.  It was remarkable how quickly she learned to talk when she could finally hear properly!
Her favorite people in the world are teenage boys.
So that should be fun.
Her favorite toys are chunky puzzles and shape sorters.
I think I love the sight of her big huge smile more than just about anything else in the world.
We celebrated her birthday with a family hike up to the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Catherine Pass Trail was an unbelievably gorgeous hike to Lake Catherine with loads and loads of beautiful wildflowers. 
Once again, no big girls with us-- they were probably working or rehearsals or workouts and whatever.  
The very best part was singing "Happy Birthday" to Greta at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon, looking down into Big Cottonwood Canyon.  Greta loved it!! 
Let me give you a little bit of backstory on this picture.  Moments before, someone passed gassed.  The kids were cracking up while also making continuous "air biscuit" sounds.  You can see from Faith and George's lips, they are mid-sound making.  Ha ha ha.  Even I must admit, it was pretty funny.
I keep saying it, but I can't get enough of the great outdoors this summer.  And then I look back at the pictures and it brings me such happiness.
At one point, during a challenging section of the hike, George was complaining.  I said, "George, I just barely wrote on the blog about how tough you were and what a good hiker you were.  You can't start complaining NOW!"
He responded, "Well, you should take that down!"
A little sample of the wildflowers.
Oh, my dear little Peter.  I love and loathe hiking with him at the same time.  It takes such patience and yet is so rewarding at the same time.  He's so loud.  He's so intense.  He celebrates his victories so intensely and laments his challenges with such passion.  He's almost four and may I just say, I think he and I will both be spectacular when this life is all said and done and much of that will be because of each another. 
We topped off the evening with some shared shaved ice.  It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: