Saturday, August 11, 2018

Swing


I cannot say enough good things about the Bluffdale Arts council production of Swing that came off last weekend.  Bethany was the only actual member of our family that was in it, but since I claim these three handsome young men as my own, I like to think I had four children in the play.
  Swing is really less of a "play" and more of a Big Band/Swing musical revue with a live band on stage and super high energy swing dancing and singing.  Bethany loved, loved, loved being  dancer  and it was fun for her to be partnered with her long-time neighborhood and church ward friend, Jacob.   He's had quite a bit of ballroom dance training, so I think she liked having such a capable partner.  I appreciated his capability when he was lifting and throwing her her all over tarnation!
Now let's talk about BRYSON!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! Bryson has been one of Clark's best friends for years.  I don't know how many hours Bryson has spent in our basement playing games with Clark, but I've loved having him around.  I quite miss him now that Clark is gone.   He leaves for a mission to Bismark, North Dakota in October and he is a killer trombone player.  He was a part of a brilliant duet number that completely blew me away.
 The song was "Cry Me a River".  She would sing a bit-- accusing him of doing her wrong-- and he would respond on the trombone.  I went to three of the four shows and I loved each one of his performances more than the last.  The band was on fire!  I could not get enough and it was all I could do to not jump out of my seat after some of their big numbers.  I was beside myself with joy!
I didn't really know what to expect from this show, but as soon as the Friday night show was over I immediately got on the phone to my dad and said, "YOU HAVE TO COME HEAR THIS!"  Being a fan of that era of music and a former trombone player as well, it was a pretty easy sell!  We enjoy watching the Saturday matinee with Dad and Bev and Brig and Naomi.
 Being a part of these productions has brought so much enjoyment to our family.  It has been a joy to watch Bethany grow and develop talents and it is the best thing to go to the productions and meet up with so many friends we've been in shows with.  The Bluffdale theater family is a happy place to be.

A very proud Papa.
Jacob, Victoria, and Bethany
Always the leg picture...
Jacob, Bethany, and Enoch


No comments: