Friday, August 24, 2018

The Joys of Life

It is stating the obvious to say that life isn't always happiness and sunshine.  There are dark days and weeks and months.  There are disappointments and frustrations.  Those times are necessary and we are humbled by them and learn from them.  I get that.  But I don't enjoy those times.  I do my best to struggle through them.  Sometimes I just wait them out, knowing that "the sun will come out tomorrow."
I say that because I am riding the high that comes with getting back into the routine of life and school and fall is coming upon us and I am enjoying this sunnier, happier time.  There have been times when I have hesitated to acknowledge the good times, in fear that rougher waters are just around the bend.  That's how it seems to go.  But if I don't celebrate and enjoy the good times, then I would feel unsettled  all of the time.  Instead I want to be happy when I am happy. 
That's a rather long explanation for what I'm about to do on this post.  I am going to shamelessly revel in the joy of family life and friendship that has been mine the last couple of weeks. 
You've been warned.
The joy of a beloved toy--Peter and his "Lizzy"-- who, for the record is a boy.  Yeah, we were all mistaken until he clarified.
The joy of a good joke--Finding this leaf bug on the ground on my morning walk and sending the picture to Elinor because she hates leaf bugs.  Too funny.
The joy of family dance parties at lunchtime...
...when everyone joins in.  I like how George is clobbering Peter with a sword. 
The joy of family love--big sister and little sister hugs. 
A middle schooler who is still as sweet as the day she was born-- just a whole long stronger with just touch more sass.
Space for creativity in school work-- Cannon made this lightening bolt after reading Greek myths about Zeus.
The joy of connections with friends--- helping Bethany answer Connor's homecoming query.  Aunt Candice (Connor's aunt) had to come along as well.  I can't say enough good things about my girls having Candice as a friend, mentor and confidant. 
The joy of working hard and seeing improvement-- Elinor has worked hard on her flexibility.

Singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" to my sunshine.

The joy of craziness when we're all together and enjoying each other's company and just getting silly. 
The joy of unexpected, funny, strange happenings... when the two boys who are friends with  Bethany and Elinor had a wrestling match in the front yard.  Faith ran inside to get her mats.  It was sort of surreal and painful to watch, but so funny and destined to go down in Fox family lore. Both such good sports and for the record, the match was Ethan's idea, but Connor was victorious. 
I love that our little ones have so many big ones in their lives to play with them.  I love how much our big kids adore and enjoy their little siblings. 
The joy of friendships so rich, filled with so much history, it's hard to remember that you aren't actually related.  As if that matters.
The ones who have chosen to be a part of your life just because they love you and you love them.  More adults to love your kids.  More friends to support you through the ups and downs of life.  This group began as a "book club", but has become so much more. 
The joy of being loved just as you are.
The joy of experiencing life over and over again-- first for yourself and then through each of your children's eyes.
I read in a book this week -- "One of the great pleasures of being a parent is getting to grow up a second time, in another era, led by a small person with a sensibility that is quite different from yours."
The house is a mess.  The schedule makes my head spin.  The decibel level is off the charts.  But the love and the connections are real and this is joy.

No comments: