Sunday, July 17, 2022

I Love Cornhole

 A few years ago I had a kickball party for my birthday.  I love kickball.  I kind of wanted to do another kickball party this year, but the truth is, I found a "sport" I love more than kickball.  CORNHOLE!!!   Also, a lot of our friends are getting older and I don't want anybody's blown-out knee on my conscience.  

Abe was such a good sport to help plan my cornhole tournament birthday party!  I can't speak for anyone else, but I had a GREAT time!  I'm in favor of everyone hosting their own party so they get to do what they want on their birthday!  

We snapped this picture before all the teams were signed in.  We ended up with about 23 teams competing for the grand prize-- a basket of all things corn-- corn starch, corn meal, corn syrup, corn flakes, Cornpops, corn muffin mix, popcorn, corn tortillas, corn chips, canned corn, creamed corn, corn-on-the-cob pokers.  It was beautiful.  Teams were encouraged to have a team name containing or relating to corn.  
I will not keep you in suspense any longer.  I will show you who won the whole thing...  Introducing the Cornhole Champions of 2022....
And look what humble winners we are.
I mean, claiming the grand prize (that I put together) at my own birthday party?  That's not rude at all, right?  Cannon was (rightfully) horrified that we kept our own prize.  Truthfully, I did go to bed thinking, we hadn't done that very well.  But you know what we did do well?  Play cornhole.  We played cornhole WELL.  So I guess we deserved the prize!  And seriously, who wouldn't want this awesome prize?  Like we could walk away from that?
I'm going to share a bunch of pictures from the evening.  Here was the setup.  We had six courts and a couple of warm-up courts for the double-elimination tournament.
Faith's awesome friends, Anya and Alyssa, got into the spirit with their matching team shirts.  They were aMAIZEing!  Such good sports.  Sadly, not such good cornhole players.
The finals came down to the Cornucopias and Time for Corn.  Glen and Justin Shaw were worthy opponents and very good sports.  Now, I will tell you that there was some controversy regarding the Cornucopias using fancy professional bags and getting to play on our preferred set.  But you know what?  It's my party and I'll cheat if I want to.  I mean, I don't call it cheating...
It was a decisive win if that makes any difference.
Love me some cornhole on a summer evening in the park.
See the kid to my left?  Yeah, well, I don't want to brag or anything, but he's a state champion in hurdles, but I'm a better cornhole player.  So there's that.
Choi Sauce (Elinor and Brandon) versus The Cornbattants (my dad and Clark).  I believe Choi Sauce won.  

Allyson and Keith very admirably managed the tournament bracket boards.  Many thanks:)
Me and my birthday buddy, Hayden.  We're also piano buddies, in that, I teach him piano:)
Michelle is one of my besties:)  Notice how I am cradling with love my professional bags?  They are that valuable to me.
Andrea and Adrianne--the Unicorns.  Sadly, unicorns are not known for their cornhole prowess.  But they are magical, nonetheless:)
The Happy Haunters were so very helpful with so many things at the party.  Beth even made me a beautiful rose cake.  Lots of skills.  Cornhole is not one of them.
We expected fiercer competition from the Cornholios (far left).  Easton  (just to the left of Faith) has been Riverton's star swimmer.  Rachel is to the right of me-- her team name with her brother Ben, was Shuck Dynasty.  People are so clever.
Just a few of my most favorite people.
The path to victory!
These three dancing to "Lion of Love" (from Eurovision).  So funny.  
And I think I'll end with that.  

No comments: